Whether you’re in a new home or you want to liven up the look of your home and boost the curb appeal, making the decision to have the exterior of your home painted can be overwhelming. The first thing you need to do is choose a color palette that will work for your home.
Making a commitment to a final color can feel like a big step. Not to worry! You can incorporate a number of colors that complement each other to create a stunning look.
Here are 5 tips to help you narrow down the choices:
- Look at your neighbors – You may want to choose colors that complement neighboring homes or homes in your subdivision. Looking at nearby homes can give you some ideas about which colors will look the best on your house.
- Consider contrasting colors – If you select a paint scheme that gives variation in tone, it will highlight the architectural features of your house.
- Think about the existing materials – You want to choose paint colors that will complement the natural shades and textures of your home, particularly if you have a stone or brick façade.
- Test out colors you are considering – You may want to paint boards with any colors you are thinking about and hold them up to different parts of the exterior throughout the day to give you a better idea of how it’s going to look.
- Don’t forget about the interior colors – You’ll want to think about how your exterior colors and interior colors will complement each other.
You may want to take a look at homes by searching websites like Pinterest for images that will give you inspiration and ideas. Close your eyes and visualize your home. What color do you picture? Do you find that you are drawn to neutral colors, warm or cool shades, or even bold pops of color?
Once you have chosen a color palette, it will be easier to figure out which one of the paint colors will be the best fit for you and your home.